New England Sportsman's Network

New England's Premier Source for Internet Information for Sportsmen. Online for 10 years!
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:43 am 

I am usually a proponent of Ma F&W, but not this spring. They have done a terrible job stocking trout so far. There are very few
lakes in North Central Ma that can be fished for trout, from the shore. One of the best, is Lake Whalom, in Lunenburg. It has that entire side
of the lake, by the old amusment park, that can be accessed by fishermen who don't own boats. So far, the state has stocked trout
for the past 3 weeks. The first week they stocked about 200 small rainbows in Whalom. Thats it, none since. I have been numerous times, and saw a lot of people bringing their kids, hoping to get a trout or two. I saw one, maybe two two trout caught, period.

Meanwhile the state stocked Ft Pond twice and Spec Pond, both in Lancaster, once. These are lakes that have NO access for shore fishermen. They both have small ramps, with even smaller parking areas. The rest of both of these lakes is private property. Since the State has banned fishing from the ramps, there is no access to these lakes, except for a few boaters. Not to mention, commuters are now using some of the very few parking spots at Fort Pond, Lancaster.

Does anyone out there have contacts at the F&W, to maybe find out why Whalom isn't getting it's fair share of trout? I called the Central District main office this morning to try to find out what was going on. I got the standard answer, they were just following the schedule. It seems to me the schedule is broken, and needs to be fixed. If you agree, and want to lodge a complaint, the number is 508-835-3607. The State will tell you that the kids are the future, but when they stack the deck against them, they are going to loose interest. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to know that the areas that
have the best access for the majority of people, should get the majority of the fish. Stocking trout into lakes that only have access for a few boaters, doesn't make any sense to me!!!!

UPT