New England Sportsman's Network

New England's Premier Source for Internet Information for Sportsmen. Online for 10 years!
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: novice bow user
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:38 pm 

I have an old high country bow that just had new string put on. This is my first compound bow. Every time I draw back the arrow falls off the rest. The rest is just a piece of plastic. I suppose it could be just my lack of skill or is it something wrong with the string. The draw weight is about 60# and is set the lowest the bow will go. It is a bit tuff to draw back could that be part of the issue.

Thanks for any help

Post subject: Re: novice bow user
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:13 pm 

are you useing fingers or a release
you could be touqueing your bow or canting your riser which is leaning it left or right or pinching your nock and the bow is most likely a 75% or 60% let off so when you pull back at the end of your draw or " valley" you are holding 40 % or 25% of your total bow weight unlike the newer bows which have 80%or 85% let off this is why holding the bow at full draw can be tough also the style of wheels can affect how easily you can pull it back your bow most likly has cams which on older bows can be a bear to pull back and hold if shooting fingers try useing just 2 fingers under the nock and no index finger on top of the nock and if your nocking point is not correct too low or too high it will caues your arrow to "jump" off the rest which is most likly the case if shooting a release for this you should go to an archery shop so they can use a bow square to set this up for you hope this helps :bow:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:40 pm 

I am using fingers. I have been using one finger over the nock and two under. The first night I shot I could bearly shoot 3 arrows because could not pull back. The second night I got a few more shots in but that is when the arrow was falling off the rest. Tonight I shot much better the arrow didn't jump off as much. I am thinking that from struggling to draw I was torqueing and twisting the arrow and that was the cause of the issue. I will try the 2 fingers under the nock. My muscles were pretty sore from shooting however tonight I could pull a bit easier and the first couple of shots the arrow didn't fall off. As i shot more the arrow did pop off but not as bad. I guess the muscle just need to build up a bit.

I was thinking of getting a release and if I do I will make sure to have the nock moved. It seems that the arrow sits nice and flat when it is lock in under the nock and resting on the rest.

Thanks for the help. I am really liking the shooting just bit frustrating at first.

I am in Woburn and went up to NH to have the string put on. Do you have a good archery shop that is close to Woburn.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:55 pm 

i am north of worchester and do not know any close to you bass pro could help i would think just remember shoot only until you start to get tired then put it down for the night or bad habits can develop good luck and any more questions feel free

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:11 pm 

Now that I have been shotting for a couple weeks. I find the pull getting much easier still refining the draw. So I have started setting my sight. I have been following the arrow to were it shoots but I am running out of room for adjustments and still shot to the left. I am at about ten yards and get decent grouping with the occasional bullseye.

So do I just keep practicing or do think I should move the sight some more or maybe get a different one?

Thanks!