New England Sportsman's Network

New England's Premier Source for Internet Information for Sportsmen. Online for 10 years!
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: finally got out
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:24 pm 

So I finally got the chance to go. I know the season started some time ago but with a wife that works some weekends, bird hunting, no vacation time left and 7 month old at home it makes it a bit tuff but anyways I got out. Well it was rainy, very windy, and somewhat cold probably not the best day to go. I saw nothing heard nothing. I wasn't able to scout the area before going so I just walked around until found an aera that looked good. I didn't see any scrapes or rubs anywhere. I did see a few prints so I know there has been a deer or two moving around there. I tried to do some calling with a grunt call and doe bleat and even did a little bit of rattling but with the wind not sure it was too effective. I was really hoping to see more signs or at least see a deer. So maybe just a bad weather day or maybe just don't know what I am doing seeing it was my first time ever.

Anyone else having luck?

Post subject: Re: finally got out
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:08 pm 

that's the way it goes man....just gotta get back out there! the more scouting you can do the better. put in the time, even if it's just a couple hours in the AM or PM (magic hours), and be patient and you'll get your sightings...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

The season took a while for the sign to start showing up.

With the cold weather at night things have started to turn on.

You've got to put in your time to find deer. Sometimes it takes an entire season to finally see a deer. Once you see one, stop and look around to figure out why the deer was there. Figure out what the wind is doing. Try to determine why you saw that deer and then repeat it.

It's tough. That's why it's called hunting not killing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:35 am 

Thanks guys, I was just excited to get out and you are right you have to be in the woods to get anything. Just like fishing, have to make a cast to catch fish. Well I am ready for my next trip out and looking forward to it. Thanks again!