New England Sportsman's Network

New England's Premier Source for Internet Information for Sportsmen. Online for 10 years!
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: help with scouting
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:04 am 

So this only my second year of hunting whitetails. I am planning on starting my scout this weekend. What kind of signs do I look for? I did not get to do any scouting last year just when I was hunting and trying to find some scraps and rubs. I would image it is too early in the year to see these kind of things.

I am going to be hunting from the ground with my bow. The woods are old with some swampy areas.

Thanks for any help!

Post subject: Re: help with scouting
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:01 pm 

If you find old rub lines, the bucks will often reuse them, so they don't always have to be fresh to help you. Think about funnels and pinch points. These are things that draw deer into traveling into a small corridor/area, to give you a better chance of seeing them. For example, a field that has a pond in back of it. The deer won't go into the field in the day and they won't want to swim, so they will be funneled in between. Always keep in mind food sources, feeding times, and bedding areas, and make a plan around them. Also, join [removed] There are a lot more hunters there. This site has evolved to mostly just bass fisherman.
Oneshot/ Daryl
Where are you from? Where are you going to hunt?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:09 pm 

Thanks for the info. It helps a lot and will check out that other site. I live in wilmington ma and hunt in crane pond wma.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:16 pm 

moto wrote:
Thanks for the info. It helps a lot and will check out that other site. I live in wilmington ma and hunt in crane pond wma.

You need any other opinions let me know. I would highly reccommend using a treestand for your bow hunting. Hunters do get deer from the ground, but I feel you would greatly increase your chances with a treestand.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:58 pm 
Site Admin

Oneshot...I removed the link to the other site. I'd love to get our site back up to where we were with hunters before I upgraded the message boards. The other site is a great site with a lot of great guys posting on it, but I'd like to see nesportsman's message board grow again rather than have people show up and post....and then get redirected to another site.

Motto....I started deer hunting about 15 years ago. My first 8 years were very frustrating and I didn't see a lot of deer. Here is how I started to see deer. Get a good quality, lightweight climbing tree stand (like a summit viper). Bring a very small backpack with a small folding branch saw, some water to drink, an empty 16 ounce bottle to pee into, some food to eat, and a book to read....of couse bring your bow with you ;-) Get a cable bike lock for the stand as well. And, don't forget a treestand harness to wear. Bring a set of binoculars. All told you may drop $300 bucks, but it's the best $300 you'll spend for hunting.

Go into the woods the day before bow opening day and pick a likely tree. Hook up your stand and climb up to about 15 feet while cutting limbs along the way. Don't go clearing any shooting lanes. Climb back down and lock the stand to the tree (be sure to lock the bottom and top of the climbing stand by running the cable through both and then around the stand).

Step one - Opening day get in the woods 45 minutes before first light (1 hour before sunrise). Unlock the stand and climb up. Sit there until about noon. You will quickly see why I suggested all the items above to put in your backpack.

Step two - Climb down, put the stand on your back and walk about 100 yards. Climb up the next tree cutting limbs as you go. Now sit on this spot until dark. That night lock your stand to the tree and go home.

Next day repeat steps one and step two. Within a few days of doing this you will start to see deer (may take 4 days or so).

I tell you to do this because until you spend years in the woods you won't undertand what makes good deer area and what doesn't. By doing this process of sitting in the stand in two place each day and only moving about 100 yards, you will see a lot of different area and you will not miss a trail that may have simply been over a rise from where your stand originally was.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:28 am 

Thanks Mike! You have been very helpful. Unfortunately I not sure I can afford a tree stand this year seeing I just got a rangefinder. I will however use your technique for the ground. I know it isn't the ideal situtatiion but I have to work with what I got.

Thanks again and happy hunting!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:43 am 
Site Admin

Sitting on the ground will work....but be very careful to be as scent free as possible including your boots and your gear.